This error update appears on the screen of the windows user whose windows updates are either not downloaded properly or are not installed correctly. Windows 10 tries rolling out patches or fixes for the errors as soon as the users report the error in the Operating Windows to provide a flawless experience to its users. However, you can use a leading computer cleaner software for the smooth working of the PC.
What Is ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING on Windows 10?
Technically, this error is known 0x80073701 as ERROR_SXS_ASSEMBLY_MISSING on Windows 10. This error code is a warning sign from Windows that the User cannot find some files while the update process is in progress. Hence, there are many causes of this error code. A few are mentioned like:
- corrupted or destroyed system files,
- antivirus or anti-malware blocking the updates,
- network connectivity issues, etc.
Fix the Error 0x80073701 on Windows 10
You need to fix the root cause of this error and then you may get rid of this error 0x80073701. Hence, every solution explained below will help you fix this Windows 10 update error. However, apply these fixes individually one after the other to acknowledge the individual effect of each fix.
Method 1: Run the Windows Update troubleshooter
You need to run the Baked-in feature of Microsoft’s update tool to fix these errors. This baked-in tool is purposely designed to scan for basic issues that activate errors. And perform the scheduled tasks like scanning for the updates for Windows 10. Additionally, it also resolves other bugs and issues.
However, running the troubleshooter involves going through the Settings application. Hence, after the scan gets completed, the baked-in tool will apply the fixes automatically for the issues, if found any. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open settings by pressing Win + I keys together on the keyboard.
- In the setting windows, Select the Update & Security icon.
- On the Windows Update page, select “Troubleshoot.” on the left-hand side pane.
- Select Additional Troubleshooters under the Troubleshoot head and click on next for Windows update.
- By selecting “Run the Troubleshooter.” you permit access to search for problems and notify them.
- Restart your PC to bring the changes into effect.
Method 2: Restart Windows Update services
Now the next fix for the error 0x80073701 while updating the Windows PC is to restart the Windows update utility. There are two methods to do that. Hence, we are listing both of these methods here:
Restart Windows Update services using the Services app:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing these shortcut keys together with Win + R.
- Type Services.MSC into the search box in the Run dialog box and press OK.
- Double-click the Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
- Press Stop in the Properties dialog box for the open service.
- Click Automatic in the drop-down menu list under Startup Type.
- Click on Start, then click OK.
- Select other services in the same way as above.
- Update your PC, once the service gets activated.
Although this method will work to restart the utility, you should take the help of the next solution as well.
Restart Windows Update services using the Command Prompt:
- Press Win + S keys on the keyboard shortcut or click the magnifying glass icon in the taskbar for opening the Search menu.
- Type “command” into the search bar.
- Open Command Prompt in “Run as Administrator” mode.
- Grant the permission in the permission.User Account Control dialog window
- Use these commands one by one individually into the Command Prompt and hit Enter after each command.
a: net stop wuauservb: net stop bitsc: net stop msiserver
d: net stop usosvc
After using these commands, you will be notified that the corresponding service has been disabled. Hence, enter these commands afterward to continue:
a: net start wuauserv
b: net start bits
c: net start msiserver
d: net start usosvc
To enable the services to use the following commands hit Enter after each command. However, if the issues persist, move on to the next solution.
Method 3: Repairing the corrupted system files
So, these steps will explain to you the process to repair the corrupted system files:
- Type CMD to get into the command mode from the RUN dialog box, and together press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys.
- Grant permission to run the Command Prompt as an administrator and press YES.
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth in the command prompt and hit Enter to execute the DISM utility tool.
The DISM utility will now try fixing the corrupted files using the Windows Update client.
However, the client is unable to update the windows, you need to use another source. Hence, to repair windows you need a Windows 10 DVD or bootable USB flash drive. But don’t forget to ensure the address of the Windows folder source you want to use for repairing the windows.
So, execute the following command after inserting the DVD or connecting bootable USB.
dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:(path of the folder)
Note: Alter the address of the resource you want to use accordingly before executing the command.
- Use the command line: SFC/ scannow in the Command Prompt and press Enter key.
- After the scan it gives a notification, “Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them”.Update windows by restarting the PC.
However, if it notifies, “Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.” This means you need to execute the SFC utility in Safe Mode:
- Open Settings by pressing Win + I together and selecting the Update & Security icon.
- On the left-hand side of the window in the Windows Update page select the Recovery icon.
- Now, in the Recovery page, in the Advanced Startup head click on Restart Now.
- The PC will now reboot into the Advanced Startup environment.
- Under the “Choose an Option” head, select Troubleshoot tile.
- On the Advanced Options screen in the troubleshooting, the tile hit on Startup Settings.
- The computer will start rebooting after selecting restart in the startup setting.
- Choose Safe Mode to boot your system in Safe Mode.
- Execute the System File Checker.
Also Read: How to Activate Twitch TV on Roku Device?
Method 4: Reset the Window Socket component
Due to a corrupted Winsock component, which leads to an error display due to the connection problem. The Windows Socket component is a library that holds predefined network configurations settings. Hence, many apps depend upon this for connecting to the internet. Malware attacks may alter the files on your system. Resetting the component settings will fix this problem.
Follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Open the setting windows by pressing Win + S keys.
- In the search box type command.
- Execute the command prompts as Run as Administrator.
- Now, Grant permission in the User Account Control dialog box and ask for permission.
- Next, hit Enter after entering the below-mentioned command :
netsh Winsock reset
Windows will alter the parameters in the Winsock component and will readjust the DLL file.
Reboot your PC and update windows after successful completion of the command.
Method 5: Performing a Clean Boot
Third-party software may hinder the Windows Update client to produce the error. You can overcome the issue by using the clean boot and stopping that application.
Start your PC in a clean boot mode, you stop the startup applications from running on your system.
Follow the below explained steps to execute a clean boot to fix this update error :
- Open the search dialog box by pressing Win + S together.
- Enter system configuration in the search box.
- Select System Configuration and then navigate through the Services tab.
- At the bottom, select the check box for Hiding all Microsoft services boxes.
- Now select the Disable All button to stop the services from starting after rebooting.
- Open the “Open Task Manager” by clicking on the start-up tab.
- The Task Manager window will be displayed and select each program to enable it from starting.
- Enter System Configuration dialog after closing the Task Manager and press OK.
- Run Windows Update after restarting your system. (However, if the windows update gets in progress. Then you just need to find the apps that hinder you from running at startup.)
So, you can now enable one of the services individually, restart your PC, and check for the error. However, if the same problem persists after enabling this service, then this app is responsible for hindering the windows update.
But, if the error is not displayed, enable the app and check for the updates again individually.
We hope the above-mentioned fixes in this post might work for you. However, if the problem persists try reinstalling Windows on your computer.
Moreover, if you have any additional information regarding the error code 0x80073701, feel free to contribute by commenting below.