By the end of 2020, 73% of Internet users worldwide will have a Smartphone. Ecommerce sales are projected to grow from $2.3 trillion in 2017 to nearly $4 trillion by 2021. By 2020, video content will make up approximately 80% of global consumer internet traffic. Mobile apps are used by nearly 92% of Smartphone users.
It is no surprise, then, that businesses are constantly on the lookout for web design trends to meet the ever-changing demands of consumers.
What will be the top web design and development trends in 2022? We take a look at some amazing predictions for the future of websites and our lives online.
Progressive Web Application (PWA)
According to Google Trends, the interest in PWAs is growing at an incredible rate. This is no surprise given the current global focus on developing faster, lighter, and easier-to-use apps that are accessible offline or online.
Progressive web applications (PWAs) combine many of the benefits of mobile sites with features found in native applications. They are designed to be fast, reliable, and engaging. As a result, they offer an excellent user experience on all types of devices.
One of the major benefits of PWAs is that they can be used offline. This is a huge advantage for users in areas with poor or no connectivity. PWAs also offer an improved user experience over traditional mobile websites. They are faster, more reliable, and more engaging.
Artificial Intelligence (AI)
AI has the potential to revolutionize web design and development. It will have a powerful impact on search, personalization, customer service, content delivery, and eCommerce. This is particularly true given that 56% of all digital transformation initiatives harness AI in 2018.
Ai will impact websites in a multitude of ways:
- Personalization – AI will help personalize the user experience based on previous interactions, products purchased, content consumed, and so forth.
- Customer service – AI-powered chatbots will be able to answer questions quickly and accurately. These bots can also handle simple tasks such as purchase orders or obtaining information about delivery times.
- Search – AI will power search engines in the future. It will be able to understand questions and provide answers in natural language, rather than relying on keywords. This means that customers can ask questions without having to use specific terminology or follow a strict set of instructions.
- Content delivery – AI is already being used to determine what content should be delivered, when it should be delivered, and the media format that is best suited for each individual.
- Ecommerce – AI will have an impact on everything from product recommendations to cross-sells and upsells.
Voice Search Optimization (VSO)
Voice Search Optimization involves making sure that websites are optimized for voice-enabled devices such as smartphones, smart speakers, and cars. This is a major trend in the industry because more than 50% of all searches will be voice searches by 2020.
Voice search is different from textual search because it uses natural language. This means that the query has to be in the same way that it would be spoken. The user can’t spell out long words or technical terms, use slang, or pause when speaking.
Because of these differences, voice-enabled devices need websites that are specifically designed for them. The content needs to be short and concise, and it must use natural language. The website’s structure must also be easy to navigate.
VSO is still in its early days, but it is quickly gaining popularity. It is important to start planning for it now so that your website can keep up with the latest trends.
Single Page Application (SPA)
A Single Page Application (SPA) is a web application that loads its content on a single page. This contrasts with traditional web applications, which require the user to navigate to different pages in order to view all the content.
SPAs are becoming more and more popular because they offer a number of advantages over traditional web applications:
- Speed – SPAs are much faster than traditional web applications because all of the content is loaded on a single page. This eliminates the need to load and reload pages, which can take a long time on slow internet connections.
- Ease of use – SPAs are very easy to use because there is no need to navigate to different pages. All of the content is available on a single page, and it can be accessed with a single click.
- SEO – SPAs are very SEO-friendly because all of the content is located on a single page. This makes it easier for search engines to crawl and index the website’s content.
- Maintenance – SPAs are easier to update because all of the content is located on a single page. For example, if you want to change the homepage, you can do it with a single click rather than having to update several pages. This also makes it easier to fix broken links and broken layouts across various pages.
The Focus on Mobile Devices
Mobile devices are becoming more and more popular, and this is reflected in the way that web designers are thinking about web design. More and more websites are being designed with mobile devices in mind, and this trend is only going to continue in the future.
One of the most important aspects of mobile device design is creating a responsive website. This means that a website adapts to the relative size of the device that it is being loaded on. For example, if a user loads a website on their desktop computer, they will see a wide-screen layout with multiple columns. On the other hand, if they load it on their Smartphone or tablet, they will see one column of content and more information on a single page.
Building a website that’s specifically designed for mobile devices has many advantages:
- Enables ease of browsing – Mobile-friendly websites can be easily browsed on any device, including smartphones and tablets. They display content in the most logical way which makes it easier for users to access information with just one or two clicks.
- Increases engagement – Mobile-friendly websites are much easier to use, which makes it more likely that users will stay on the site for longer periods of time. This increases user engagement and enables them to interact with all of the website’s content.
- Increases conversions – If you have ever browsed a website on your Smartphone or tablet, you know that it is much more likely to make a purchase than if you were to browse it on your desktop computer. This is because mobile devices are designed for convenience and ease of use. When users have a good experience on your website, they are more likely to convert into customers.
The Use of Minimalism in the Design
Minimalism is a design style that involves using the least amount of content and visuals in order to convey your message. This often results in websites that are very simple but also visually striking. Because minimalism focuses on simplicity, it’s becoming much more popular in web design:
- Focuses content – Minimalism enables you to focus on your content and eliminate any distractions. This makes it easier for users to understand and interact with your website.
- Is visually appealing – Minimalist websites are often very simple but also very attractive. This makes them more likely to be retained in the user’s memory, which can result in more conversions.
- Is it very responsive – Minimalist websites work well on both mobile devices and desktop computers? This is because they are simple in structure, which means that they can load quickly on any device.
From a design perspective, minimalism can be extremely useful:
- Improves brand image – By focusing on simplicity and ease of use, minimalism increases the user’s interactions with your website. This makes your brand image more memorable and can result in increased conversions.
- Increases conversion rates – If you want to increase conversions on your website, minimalism is one of the best ways to do it because it allows you to focus on what really matters.
- Focuses attention on the call to action – One of the main benefits of minimalist design is that it enables you to focus your users’ attention on what really matters. You can highlight the most important elements on your website and minimize distractions, which makes it easier for users to convert into customers.
Using the Parallax Effect
The parallax design effect enables you to create a website with pages that have different images and content scrolling at different rates. This results in an illusion where the background images seem further away from the foreground content, which gives your website a more 3D look:
- Increases user engagement – Parallax effects make websites more interactive. This improves user engagement and makes it more likely that visitors will stay on your website for longer periods of time.
- Is visually striking – Parallax effects make websites very attractive, which is why they are becoming popular in web design. They provide an illusion of depth and interest that engages the user’s senses and keeps them interested.
When used correctly, the parallax effect can be extremely useful:
- Improves user experience – The multiple layers and images created by this web design technique provide users with a more immersive experience that is engaging and enjoyable. This makes it much more likely that visitors will convert into customers.
- Creates a unique brand image – By using a parallax effect on your website, you can create a unique brand image that is memorable and stands out from the competition.
- Is more visually appealing – Parallax effects are more visually appealing than traditional websites, which makes them more likely to be retained in the user’s memory, which can result in more conversions.
Minimalist design is a great way to create a website that focuses on what matters most. It enables you to improve the user experience, focus on content and increase conversions. The parallax effect is also very useful because it can be used to attract more users and create an immersive online experience that engages their senses.
If you want to create a website that is simple, visually appealing, and conversion-oriented, then minimalist design and the parallax effect are two great techniques to consider.