Spiders are a rather frequent presence in our homes. While not dangerous for humans, they are not much loved by people, so much to give rise to real phobias. So how to get rid of spiders before their presence becomes problematic? There are many natural remedies to get rid of spiders. Find out how.
Will it surely have happened to you too to find in the house, perhaps in a corner of the ceiling, a large cobweb inhabited by a large spider? Faced with this discovery, many people become frightened or feel a sense of disgust.
Spiders are not very popular. On the contrary, many people often have real phobias for spiders. It may be due to their hairy appearance, or to the presence of thick cobwebs.
For this reason, when we find ourselves with a spider in the house, we try in every way to get rid of its presence, even if, in reality, it does not serve as a danger to humans. On the contrary, its presence can have beneficial effects. The spider feeds on insects such as flies, mosquitoes and cockroaches. These are also the main carriers of diseases in the home environment.
But if you really can’t stand the presence of a spider, we suggest some remedies you can use to get rid of spiders in the house.
Spiders: species and characteristics
There are many different species of spiders in nature. In Italy only some of these are widespread. Generally, spiders do not pose a danger to humans, except for some specimens such as the violin spider and the black widow, whose bite can be dangerous to human health.
The spider in general does not attack humans, if it does so it is to defend itself because it feels trapped. In any case, it is difficult to find these two spiders in the city. More widespread in the countryside, but still in isolated areas, they are hardly found in domestic environments.
Spiders belong to the arachnid family. They have a hairy body and have 8 legs. They feed on insects such as flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches. Unlike what is thought, spiders have a beneficial effect on the ecosystem, they have the function of scavengers. In fact, by eating flies, mosquitoes, cockroaches, they also free us from insects that are potentially harmful to our health. These insects are often carriers of viruses and bacteria that they can transmit to humans. Let’s think, for example, of mosquitoes that with their bites can transmit many dangerous diseases.
Why do spiders enter the house?
If you are wondering why spiders enter our homes, the reason is very simple. The house for spiders is a safe place to seek shelter. Usually, here they find a warmer environment where they can find food and weave their webs. Their presence, in any case, is not a negative aspect if you think that they free us from insects that are harmful to our health.
How to get rid of spiders
Despite the spiders do not pose a danger to humans, their presence is well tolerated and is looking for the most effective remedies for them to eliminate. Besides of course chemical remedies, several natural remedies drive spiders away from our homes. Furthermore, it is also advisable to try to eliminate any entrance door of spiders in our homes. These manage to enter the house even from small cracks or cracks in the walls.
For this reason, try to seal any potential entrances with putty or silicone. This will reduce the risk of finding yourself with a spider in the house. Also, check for possible cuts or cracks on the mosquito nets, they could represent an entrance for spiders.
Avoid turning on outdoor lights, especially during the night, as these would attract insects that are the food of spiders. The presence of insects would be an excellent call for spiders who would therefore enter the house more easily.
The vacuum cleaner to eliminate spiders
If you notice the presence of a spider in the house, equip yourself with a vacuum cleaner and point it straight at the cobweb and the spider. In this way, you will not only eliminate the spider web and its inhabitant, but also the eggs that the spider lays on its web and which once hatched will increase the presence of spiders in the house.
In any case, to prevent spiders from building their web at home, it is advisable to often clean the home environment with a vacuum cleaner.
If the vacuum cleaner alone has not been able to get rid of the presence of spiders in the house, the time has come to resort to some natural remedies that not only will not have harmful effects on human health but at the same time will free you from spiders forever.
- Peppermint: while for us mint has a pleasant scent, for spiders it is a real deterrent. If you want to get rid of spiders, either you can insert a plant at home or, make a solution with water and a few drops of peppermint essential oils and spray them in the area where the spiders are
- Eucalyptus. Like mint, eucalyptus is also an enemy of spiders. Also in this case you can create a solution with water and eucalyptus essential oils to spray on the surface to get rid of spiders forever
- Nuts. Nuts like chestnuts, hazelnuts, walnuts also help keep spiders away
- Citrus fruits. The presence of oranges and lemons are also useful in keeping spiders away
- White vinegar. A very effective remedy for eliminating spiders in the house is white vinegar. Also in this case it will be necessary to prepare a solution of water and white vinegar in equal parts and spray it on the cobweb and on the surfaces from which the spiders can enter. This way you will get rid of the presence of spiders
- Diatomaceous earth. It is the dust of sedimentary rock. It will be enough to sprinkle the entrance areas of the spiders to obtain a complete disinfestation of the house from spiders
- Tobacco. Tobacco is also effective in killing spiders in the home. Also in this case it will be enough to prepare a solution to be sprayed to prevent the spiders from returning to your home environment