Gown originated from word “gunna” Is a free flowing garment which was initially worn in Europe from medieval era to seventeenth century by both men and women. Unlike other classes of garments, these particularly don’t have Indian origin but a heavy western influence.
In sixteenth century, they became prevalent in Italy and cut to seventeenth century, they became casual everyday wear piece of clothing in working American women.
In this modern era where we live and where we are constantly defining and renewing our fashion styles, gowns have become an integral part of our society especially for social occasions like parties, ceremonies, social gathering and even festivals. Different kinds of fabrics are being used by fashion designers to create everlasting designs nowadays. Gown making industry has gain a momentum in past few years to help ladies pull off outstanding designs in almost every occasion.
Following are the sets of gowns that everyone is looking out for:-
These types fortunately present plethora of options for a girl’s D-day. Wedding day can be the happiest day and daunting day at the same time but a wedding dress definitely should not be a concern for a woman on that special occasion. This is where gowns can save the day.
Types of wedding gowns are:-
- BALL GOWN:- usually employing fibres like satin, taffeta, velvet and silk, these types comprises of constricted corset and a long flared out skirt which gives a princess look and can give a potential Royal look. Being full volume dresses, ball gowns can give an amazing impact on the personality of a woman.
Suitable body type: – any type
- A-LINE – A line gowns are fitted up to waist and flares out naturally up to them, thus giving an A shape. Also, silk, chiffon or tulle types of fabrics are most commonly used in making these. A line is the most popular choice among wedding gowns.
Suitable body type- any type
- MERMAID- mermaid gowns are fitted up to knees and then flows out to reach the floor. Perfectly fitting to the body, it tries to accentuate the body giving a stylish look. Generally made up of material like crepe, it adds grace to the personality.
Suitable body type: – pear shaped, slim body type.
- TRUMPET- these can be confused with the mermaid types, trumpets fits up to thighs and then become free to flare out like a tail giving some extra space for body movement.
Suitable body type: – slim and tall, hourglass and pear shaped.
Party Wear Gowns
For Social events like birthday parties, office parties or any kind of get together, gowns are the ideal choices to look elegant and ravishing. Party wear gowns have indeed become trendy as they are relatively easy to manage. From simple printed forms to heavily embroidered party wear categories provide a range to look into. These types can also be extended to be used for festive seasons.
Types of party wear gowns are:-
- Jacket style gowns- these can be the combination of long jackets or short jackets with the gown. These can give entirely different look. With apt jewellery, jacket style can have Impactful influence.
Suitable body type- any type
- Indo-western gowns: – A mix-up of Indian and western style brings out this category. Being extremely trendy, these types are potential go to piece of clothing.
Having a modern touch, indo western gowns can give a smart and flourishing look. Relatively light and more comfortable than others categories.
Suitable body type: – any type
Festive Wear Gowns
Undoubtedly festivals are the most crucial part of our lives as Indians. From holi to diwali, and from eid to Navratris Festive Gowns can provide ravishing looks provided they are designed appropriately with a given festival. Also, long gowns with designed dupattas, embroidered with resham or zari work can make a gown resonate with the festival vibe.
Favourable festive wear types are:-
- Anarkali style gowns- floor length anarkali gowns are the most preferred types for party wear, consisting of gown, dupatta and churidar. Most common fabrics used for this type are jacquard, chiffon, brocade silk and cotton. Suitable body type- hourglass, strawberry shaped, slim body types.
- Indo-western types (suitable body type – any type)
- Floor length types- long gown varieties with matching designer dupatta can be the excellent choice for festive season. (suitable body type- any type)
Engagement Ceremony Gowns
Engagement ceremony is most important event before the wedding, while everyone looks for the wedding dress, engagement dress arrangements obviously cannot be given any less importance. Abundant varieties of bridal collections exist for this auspicious event. Also georgette, printed gowns, customized, multi-coloured, heavy embroidered, gowns with gold and silver lace works etc. give plenty of options to choose.
Different kinds that belongs to this category can include:-
- Anarkali Style
- Fit And Flare/Mermaid
Suitable body type: – hourglass, pear shaped, slender body types.
- Georgette Gowns
- Gotta Satin
- Ball gowns
Suitable body type: – any body type.
Process of selection of gowns for various events can be confusing and tedious, but considering body type and hence matching categories accordingly can bring one to a concrete conclusion.
Although not having a strict Indian origin, gowns are the still favourite options for ladies. Among other fancy garment categories for women, gowns often hold top position in blending traditions with modernization. In addition if someone is looking to pull off fancy looks with traditional ones, should go for gown without thinking twice. From throwing a party to attending a wedding, gown can be the ideal choice for a lady.
Although dramatic categories like ball gown, mermaid, heavy embroidery types are generally selected for weddings, party wear categories can be worn at almost any event given patterns and designs are chosen accordingly. From young adults to mid aged groups, these piece of clothing look adorable and ravishing at the same time. Even synthetic fibres like rayon, polyesters and neoprene are being employed to design them thus giving a strength to the material. Also, gown hold a special position in a woman’s wardrobe nowadays making them important and one of the most preferable clothing sets.
For more detail visit: www.bookmywear.com
Read More: Why Should You Get Freestanding Tubs?