Choosing a window treatment for a room is not very simple because it isn’t only about the style and design, but also the functionalities that the treatment must fulfill. Apart from curtains and drapes, there are shades, blinds, and shutters that offer excellent window cover and allow you to modulate how much part of the window you want to leave uncovered. Shades, blinds and shutters are often confused because of the similar nature of their operation. Shutters are considered old-fashioned, suited-for-cafes, or outdoor attachments. While all these assumptions are true, there are many modern versions of the traditional shutters that will blend well with modern décor.
Advantages of Blinds
Just like shades and shutters, window blinds can be chosen in different colors and materials to suit the décor and functionality. Prominent options in window blinds are wood, faux wood (vinyl), aluminum, and fabric. The cost of the blinds varies depending on the material; however, it is less expensive than shades and shutters. Some advantages of window blinds are –
- There is a choice of motorized blinds that can be operated remotely
- It offers more options for controlling the light entering the room
- The different design options include –
- Vertical blinds
- Horizontal blinds
- Pleated design
- Different slat sizes
- They are easy to clean and maintain. You can wipe the dust off the blinds with a dry cloth or vacuum it when you feel there is too much dust.
- They can be custom fitted for any window
- They are easy to install and remove
- They are available in corded and cordless options
Advantages of Shutters
Shutters are the most expensive among shades, blinds, and shutters, but they are also more durable and can last a lifetime with proper care. One can choose from wood shutters or faux wood shutters in different colors. Some advantages of shutters include –
- It fits firmly around the window or door and seals the sides perfectly to keep out the cold breeze and give privacy
- It can be painted or stained to match the décor of the room
- It offers excellent insulation and thus helps in lowering energy bills
- It can shut out outside noise completely
- They are easy to clean as they can be wiped with a dry cloth or vacuumed when there is dust
- They do not come with any cord attachments like blinds and shades
- One can choose shutters in different designs such as –
- Plantation shutters
- Poly shutters reinforced with aluminum reinforced louvers and stiles
- Natural wood shutters made with basswood
Advantages of shades
Shades can be purchased on all budgets without compromising on style or functionality. However, if you have a bigger budget to spend on window treatments, you can choose the Hunter Douglas range of shutters or opt for shades in a broader range of shapes, structures, and fabrics. Some advantages of window shades are –
- Shades come in a greater range of designs with –
- roller shades
- solar shades
- combi shades
- honeycomb/cellular shades
- woven wood shades
- sheer shades
- vertical shades
- horizontal shades
- Good quality honeycomb shades are excellent for covering the window from prying eyes outside. You can select window shades in opaque or sheer fabric with double or triple layers, or in dark colors to completely cover the room from outside view.
- Opaque shades or combi shades are also good for naturally maintaining indoor insulation.
- Window shades can be installed with 3D prints or other customized designs to accentuate the space
- Because of the specific installation of shades, whether they are top-down or bottom-up, you can layer shades and shutters for a graceful result
- Since the entire shade is a single material, they are easier to clean by wiping them or cleaning them with a light shampoo.
All three – shades, blinds, and shutters are timeless classics that will elevate the charm of any window space when chosen appropriately. With the modern alternatives to automate them, blinds and shades can be controlled remotely making them safe for rooms that are frequented by children and pets. Also, the versatility of these window treatments makes them perfect for residential and commercial spaces. You can give them a classic, quirky, formal or informal look by choosing the right design and colors and juxtaposing them well with the interior décor.